Wednesday, October 2, 2013

"The joy of the journey is not reaching the destination but the ride."

I got the YA book The Book Thief from the library today.  It's on the lists, Opera and PW,  and I like to keep up on new kid's or middle school titles. I like watching the book adapted Switched at Birth, Pretty Little Liars and The Lying Game on the Family channel.  I can watch some of this stuff via iPad.
I finished are ally good one last week, Danielle Steel's First Love.  Now I'm on to Whisky  Beach by Nora Roberts.  I stated Sea Glass too.
I've been enjoying the Foyle's War series in PBS.
There are new shows on I'm not sure enough yet.

It's been so warm this Indian Summer I've made and gone through a qt. of ice tea a day!  I like making sun tea.  Adding lemon and mint especially feels like such a treat.  I see little kids coming up to their mom's for a sip of what ever they are drinking and am horrified to see it is soda.  Once a saw a babies' formula mixed in 7 up!  There was a show in Appalachia that showed the large use of Dr. pepper and the high spike of diabetes type 2 and Juvenile as well as tooth decay.  Ice tea was what I sipped from mom's glass. Mary Helen  drank it too.  Bob was on milk and Diet Rite, Michael on Tab. Mine is water or tea.  I can be talked into wine or a Cosmo or 3 on rare occasion

When I went through her clothes and stuff after she died, I sent a huge array to Mary Helen, took some, packed up some special Christmas ornaments, packaged others for my brothers and remember finding a huge stash of Lipton tea bags.  They don't seem to have an expiration date.  I still have some.  I'm not used the caffeine any more.  Usually I drink Mint Medly or Earl Grey that is decaf -inated.

I did a major run to the grocery store with David this morning.  He was great to have along.  He didn't complain, watched the cart, I could send him back for items. He was amazed at the qty. of stuff I bought.  I had a list and mostly stuck to it.  The fridg. and pantry are very full.  Since he's not working, I should hire him to clean the refrigerator out.  It has to be done and I've been putting it off.  Last time I paid Ricardo.  He complained, and it thought he was too slow and wasn't thorough enough for me though.  It's not an easy job.

David want's to organized the pantry I had built. He also suggested I get a number of stacking bins to organize my office and the garage.
Back around 95 or so Norm did get me a number of plastic bins, which I used to store empty flower pots and gear in the garage.  Over the years gardener's tried to stand on them and ended up breaking
them.  I just recycled the last one.
 He suggested I get transparent bins for the garage and my office to aid in organization.
Since he's OCD he's helped some senior's and goes to a group for his hoarding.  Now for example he
only saves his chop sticks for kindling in case he needs to start a fire and just collects a few pine cones. Now know he lives in an apt. Isn't going camping and doesn't have a fireplace.

Tonight I made Italian sausages with red peppers, onions and Portobello mushrooms.  There is an advantage to showing up at the end of the farmer's market.  Some things get a reduction in price like bread, fruit and mushrooms and others are thrown in free like scallions. I went through the 3 new red peppers I brought home today.  I am going to char and roast several others, then put them in a paper bag to steam, pull the skin off, slice and freeze them for winter.  I can also can them in olive oil, but that's too much trouble and too much olive oil and effort.








No comments:

Post a Comment