Friday, October 18, 2013

Sensational camping trip to Big Sur!

October is the best month in CA.  The crowds have gone, the temps are cool in the morning and evenings, in the 60's but the days are consistently in the 70's.  We scheduled this trip at a favorite place, Kirk Creek, right on the ocean.  A small place, secluded and quiet.  This year, the government had a surprise for us and all federal parks shut down.  We arrived on Wed. The word was they were still closed but since their loans were to default, the settled?  We made alternative plans for the trip because we didn't want to be stuck.  It took us forever to get packed and get out of here.  I had to do an hr. of errands, then find all the things to take for creature comfort.

I made a quiche that was wonderful with spinach, mushrooms and ham, a T. of Dijon made it great.  I made breakfast burritos, with onion, potatoes, sausage, roasted salsa and cheese.  They were ok, but needed a better way to heat them up.  I didn't need the tortilla anyway.  We had strawberries, and tomatoes.  I also made Angel hair pasta with red pepper, crab, jack, and blue cheese with broccoli florets.  I made 2 batches I brought so much.  It's a good thing!  I had packed soap in one spice bottle, olive oil in another.  Since we arrived so late, we set up the tent in the dark , then the stove.  I wasn't paying attention until I tasted my mix.  I has poured in soap instead of oil into the pan!  After I threw that batch out, I started again, this time I got it right, but the first batch had more cheese, crab and broccoli.

We walked up to a waterfall, crossing the creek several times.  Unfortunately, I did it in my crocs.  Not the best plan for traction! We went very slow and Jack helped me up and down several places.  I was so unsure of my footing.  I brought tennis shoes which would have been better and was going to bring my boots which I needed more.  About a week or two ago, I took I flying fall after running into a shin high 25 lb. ceramic pot in my garden on the way to the compost bin at night.  I handed on my r knee. Both are still showing the effect today. I could go down on the r but not the l or the other way around.  Anyway, Jack was very solicitous, and took good care of me. I had an hour work out; my clothes were wet and my hair was soaked. More fun than going to the gym though..

Big Sur is so spectacular!  I'm glad we went.  We had another date scheduled in the September, but blew it off.  It was so hot that weekend.  Unfortunately, Kirk Creek took out their flush toilets and sinks and went to a pit toilet.  In addition, this year that has been so dry no fires are allowed.  That's a big reason we go. We did go to that site to watch the sunset last night.  They are spectacular.  We watched the first one from the beach at Limekiln.  That section is just a parking lot.  The redwood grove we were in was very nice.  Not as secluded as Kirk Creek, but that meant it was warmer. We realized last night that Kirk Creek was exposed on 4 sides or 3 and the wind was brisk off the ocean.  Usually a fog bank keeps it damp too in the morning and evening.  The raccoons and chipmunks and birds are plentiful too.  I didn't see but a single squirrel and birds in the trees, not begging in the campgrounds on on the tables.  They even have showers and flush toilets and warm water at the sinks.  Strange what we take for granted.

Picking my body in and out of the tend even with an air mattress is not a pretty site.  Our lounge chairs are a little better.  My arms are so sore!

We stopped at the Gilroy outlets on the way back, so I could return an outfit and get some soft socks in return.  Then indulged in a In and Out burger with grilled onion and iced tea. Delicious! We were a bit dehydrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment