Thursday, October 10, 2013

It's starting to feel like fall

It rained a bit yesterday while I was in the grocery store.  My car had just been. Washed for the first time in a year.  Now I have little dust spots.  I went to the farmer's market first, although it was cool, it waited till I got inside the grocery.  I got a lot of zucchini, yellow summer squash and tried a Mexican squash and eggplant.  I couldn't tell any difference between it and the others.  This must be the end of the season.

 I cooked red peppers in the oven with some cauliflower to bring out the sweetness, then put the peppers in a brown bag to sweat.  The skin is easy to pull off then.  I froze them in strips then for winter.  They are cheap now.  Red peppers were green, then they turn and are sweeter.  I made stuffed red peppers too filed with brown rice, turkey meatloaf, fire roasted heirloom tomatoes, onion, zucchini, and some feta. It's got to beat Stoffer's.  But the Trader Joe's version is hard to beat.

A trio, 3 pack of strawberries, raspberries and blackberries was only $6. Down from $10.  I'm not seeing blueberries any more though.  I am going to get some peanuts to boil.  The jicama are small and so sweet.  It's time to can some raspberry jam.  It's my favorite.

Today I made a turkey meatloaf topped with turkey bacon.  It was ok but the real pork bacon is better.  Yesterday and tonight were perfect for clam chowder.

I got some lab work back.  My cholesterol is low 188.  My blood pressure is up though.  I'm going to change meds.

No comments:

Post a Comment