Monday, April 8, 2013

Mad Men v Downton Abbey

Like Downton Abbey and NOT, I watched the season 6 opener last night.  Two hours was too long with all the commercials! It was set in Hi, NYC at Christmas and all the suspects were present.  A character or two died and more attention was shown to a shoe shine man than to his mother's passing.  Like the other, it showed the difference between the have and have not's. I also caught up on the Midwives last night.
I made a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies for the "kickoff" last night.

I made another batch this morning.  It makes 3 dozen.  I gave one, overlooked one by leaving them in the oven with the oven off when I had to go out and inadvertently put the open on broil for the lat batch.  It was a bit tan on top and undercooked inside.  This batch I may make with dried cranberries or crasins since I seem to be out of raisins after my hot cross buns for Easter, my oatmeal and these two batches.

I taught at Miranda's school today.  I checked on her teacher.   I'm not sure weather to contact her or not.  I'll tutor her this afternoon.  She wants to see and try an artichoke.  I have one and took a picture for her of one growing propitious lay in Caro's front yard.

I want to make some of Kirk's whole wheat berry bread; another thing that calls for raisins to moisten and sweeten the dough.  I may have nothing remaining from that relationship but memories and the recipe, but it's a good one as were they!

I shared my kale, mushroom, roasted red pepper, onion quiche with John last night.  It was good.  It has more flavor than the asparagus, mushroom one I made after Easter.  Nothing beats the au gratin potatoes and ham though.

Every year around Easter, when asparagus hits the market, I O.D. On the stuff for a week or two.  I eat an entire bunch for dinner two or more times a week.  Sometimes two or three days in a row.  It is so tender and delicious.  I remember as a kid hating it.  Maybe it was just anything green like zucchini grown in my neighbors garden in Detroil.

The penny candy store there was so much more alluring.  I'd go make the pilgrimage just about every day after school.  Before school there was another market that sold chewable cherry cough drops or Luden's, the only candy tasting ones.  You could have them in school!  All else was banned.  In 2nd and 3rd grade that was all important.

Mickey took me ice soaking on the Rouge River when it froze over.  It was near our house and on the rare occasion it froze and we got tired of skating on theicedover sidewalks, especially when a homeowner put down rock Salk and we went flying.  This afternoon Michael and I were skating, but he fell in through the ice!  That was scary!  He got out, but it was one cold, wet hike up the bank, across the vacant field home.

My dad took Mickey and me to the store with him one snowy night and told me in his largess as he often did I could pick out anything in the store.  I picked out a snow shovel.  Then my 7 yr. older big brother pointed out the huge dolls set up near the ceiling.  It angered my 8 yr. old heart!  Oh we'll, easily fixed.  I started down the block offering to shovel a driveway for a penny.  Needless to say the value of money escaped me as did the amount of worl.  I abandoned the task partially done.

No comments:

Post a Comment