Friday, April 12, 2013

Cooking up a storm

I came home exhausted and threw a pot roast into the oven the night before.  by the time it was done, it was 9 p.m.!  its nice to have leftovers though.  thre is something about comfort food....  my mom used to cook a big roast every Sunday, put it in the oven before mass and have it cooked, make mashed potatoes and gravy, eat the carrots and onion along side and have a delicious Sunday night dinner done.  unfortunately from my 10 year old way of thinking, then we had icky meatloaf of roast beef sandwiched for lunch the next week.  Now, I'd  crave one and to have her still here!
I made Caro's enchilazagna yesterday to use up a chicken I cooked for stock.  It was so nice to have a homemade meal prepared when I came home.  Sure beats a frozen entree of anything.

Besides, the "deck stray cats" benefit from the chicken, roast or whatever is left.  Better they than the birds or the garbage. I have the best garbage in town.  It may invite them to come back, but better to feed a stray, feral animal that have it rot in the dump.  Those cats may still be skiddish but they become more socialized towards me and Lacy and that helps us.  Thank goodness the Gardner finally got the screen put back in to the air space under the house.  Hopefully " the rat" didn't get under the house and gnaw on the pipes and insulation.  My neighbor reported seeing a bid rat walking above the fences.  We've been taking care of cats on this cul de sac for more than 20 years.  It's time they earned their keep!

I had a wonderful, fun day yesterday, but exhausting.  I had a great time with the kids and the later, Miranda.  I made her her first artichoke.  She loved it!
We are researching dolphins.  It's fun to learn with her.  I got books for new today on fresh water and salt water species.  She has to give an oral report soon, so we did research yesterday and now in addition, we have some visuals.  It seems a lot and advanced for a seven year old!

This afternoon after work, since it was a half day, I got the bright idea to clean out the garage.  Starting at 3, by six we were ready to drop. I has discovered there was a rat that had been nesting out there.  I got the idea last night when I discovered a cloth grocery bag chewed through.  Today we learned the degree of it's infiltration!  That sucker gnawed into every box, Christmas decorations, camping gear, first aide kits eating emergency water packs, chewing through granola bars, any remaining snacks, plastic water bottles by the dozens, bandages, business cards, post it notes, books, eye glass cases.  Is there anything that it didn't destroy?  We vacuumed, filled up our large recycle bin with papers and trash and pulled most everything out and repacked boxes.  There is more to do.  Fortunately, tomorrow is Sat., there is another hour or more to do.  Tonight we just jammed stuff back in to shut down for the night.  A hot whirlpool soak never felt so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment