Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The farmers market

I'm helping my local farmers with my twice weekly visits to fill up with celery, strawberries, beets, blueberries, raspberries, broccoli, cilantro, tomatoes, romaine, mushrooms, dikon, lemon grass, butternut squash, carrots, cauliflower, dolmas, blackberries, spinach, kiwi and flowers.

I hate to go to the supermarket to augment the bounty.  But cranberries are a must along with avocado and bannanas.

I have a really good butternut squash soup with coconut milk, carrot, celery, onion, cinnamon, curry powder, ginger and pured. Top with yogurt or sour crime and pieces of red beets to garnish.  The contrast is so pretty and delicious. In addition to the 4 c stock, heavy cream can be added for further richness.

There is nothing like a warm bowl of delicious soup on a cold, rainy day.

I had these hor d' ouvers of FILO blue cheese and cranberry crescents.  I augmented the mouthfuls with sautéed mushrooms and spinach and a few more cranberries.  Delicious treat from Darfour.

No comments:

Post a Comment