Thursday, January 24, 2013

Short ribs

Pure comfort food for rainy weather and cold winter nights coupled with garlic mashed potatoes.  Add some carrots and a green veggie or even roasted root veggies and you have bliss.  My one complaint is the sheer amount of fat short ribs have.  After making a miracoix, I cooked the ribs and strained off the liquid.  Once the fat congealed and was removed, the ramaining wine, herb, veggie, stock essence was awesome. Reduce it to add to the meat and potatoes.

Oddly or perhaps ironically, I will get no fat. The meat without is delicious. With a tiny piece ingrained, I won't touch it.

After the fat is removed, short ribs don't have a lot of meat. What is there costs a lot.
I tried a smaller kohlrabi today.  They taste the same as the larger ones.

I am going to try a skinny version of oatmeal cookies.  It uses applesauce and less butter.  It also has less flour and raisins so the yield will be less. They were just not the same! Well Dunn! No fat, little sugar, less raisins!?

I've done so well tracking my exercise and Frits and veggies aiming to 5 each a day for the entire mo. Oh Jan. and I made it.  No weigh in, but the pants are loose! Yea!  I need to clean out the freezer to preserve the stew, butternut squash, carrot, apple, ginger soup with celery, garlic and coconut milk, the lentil sausage soup was fair. The split pea with ham was better, especially with homemade broth.  Low sodium too.  Great on calories, includes the miracoix, the holy trinity, garlic, onion, celery and carrot.

I tried to extract Vinnie from David for Micaela.  That's a loop I am better left out of.  He is too close geographically to me and too unpredictable. After I called requesting the dog and he declined, I hung up.  That was followed by a phone call. Then another call I didn't answer and a knock on my door. He is too volatile.  I knew better than to be involved.  Someone like Jack that he doesn't know accompanied by the police would be a better approach for the exchange.

Poor Lacy was out on a rainy night till 3.

I've been enjoying artichokes again lately. It's the season! Yum!

Today I may try the noodle less lasagna with strips of cooked eggplant, zucchini, portabero mushrooms and perhaps spinach among the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment