Saturday, September 28, 2013

A walk on the beautiful Coyote Creek Trail on a beautiful Sat. morning

Micaela and I set off on this spectacular Sat. Morning to walk along my favorite Hellyer Park at Coyote Creek that goes to Gilroy.  The trees are lush and mature, the creek runs deep along side and there are fish, ducks, egret, bobcats, squirrels galore and turtles sunning on rocks.

I was up at 7 but we met at 10, a perfect time usually.  This morning, on a day getting up to 81, 9 or 8:30 might have been better.  It started off superb but got hotter and sunnier by the end of the trail.  This is the trail I always want to come to in the middle of the night when I have a yen to walk.  My friend Kim however, who used to be a ranger there in her early life, said not to.  "That's where all the druggies and criminals go at night."  She said that they used to patrol in the morning to see if there were dead bodies!  What a sheltered life I've lead.  I assume I can handle anything. I jet off to Mexico alone.  I drive across the country without a thought even camping out perfectly confident I will come through unscathed.  She worries about me going to Big Sur alone.
I used to go and camp at Andrew Molera or Kirk Creek alone all the time.  Anyway, back to our walk.  It got warm after an hour and a half, although Vinnie the tiny pincher kept pulling on his leash.  He wanted those squires and to be off to explore all those new delicious smells. He's always full of joy and energy.  We had a good talk. Afterwards,  she took me to the dog park there. I had no idea it was there.  There were some beautiful golden labs playing and romping and an Irish Setter.  Not too many little dogs for him.
There is another park there for dogs under 40 lbs. without grass.  There was a tiny chowwawa there, happy creatures.  While walking there was a woman walking carrying her teacup Taco Bell dog.  I don't understand at all why they are so popular.  They do not appear to me at all.  I had a maid who offered to clean for me free if I let her board her dog here.  In the brief time she tried to leave him here, he ate through my screen door, dug out of my yard, chewed through one of Lacy's leashes and generally caused problems. The woman wanted to go Mexico and leave him here.  He wouldn't even come to me and had never been trained to walk on a leash, just carried everywhere.
She promised but never did fix the screen, replace the leach or do any cleaning to make up.  Lesson learned....

I did some watering of all my deck plants and transplanted yet another spider.  I've decided to remove yet another juniper bush out front which harbor spiders, and plant lavendar.  I'd like to slowly get to low water, zero care as I can.
When I got the other junipers removed I planted wild flowers.  That's fine here Jan- May or April when there is rain and a quasi spring, but May- Oct. There is no rain and the water bill would be through the roof. I need to get out there and unearth interlopers weed wack others that dried out and get it looking better.  I cut the lawn last night.
I saw today that I have a lot of pruning to do too.  I swear we just trimmed that lemon tree in Spring massively.  Now it's returned to overwhelm it's neighboring orange trees yet again.  I swear I had my gardener take half the lemon and a lhot of the orange where it was being embraced which sounds better than encroached or strangled by it' neighbor, the lemon.

My back can only take short sessions.  After an hr. Or two I need a break.  How far that is from 33 yrs. Ago when I deliberately got a push mower to get exercise.  That lasted a week or so.  Then I replaced the gas one for electric.

I made a big jug of sun tea. I love it with mint and lemon.  Mom weaned me on it although she didn't use mint or fresh lemon.  All the need to recreate the scene is her and grampa's blue 'ice tea pitcher"
I need more ice too!

No comments:

Post a Comment